Government and FEMA Assistance and Paperwork

Alabama State Government
Governor Robert Bentley today activated the Governor’s Recovery Response Center in the State Capitol as a central resource to help citizens obtain the information and resources they need in the aftermath of the storm.

Alabamians with questions regarding state government assistance can call the toll free number 1-866-465-2241 and speak directly with someone who can help assist them with their needs. This call center is operating as a phone-bank only, and calls will be answered daily from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Concerned citizens who wish to volunteer their time or make donations can volunteer through the Governor’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives at (877) 273-5018 or


The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a number of available resource links. Its main page is: For information specific to the Alabama storms and tornado: (Note: This page includes links to the Alabama Office of the Governor and Alabama Emergency Management.) 

President Obama has declared Alabama a major disaster area. FEMA is now accepting disaster recovery applications. Information on available payments and the initial form are available at

FEMA Assistance Line 1-800-621-3362 and 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. Online visit or use a smartphone to visit

The full release by FEMA and AEMA (PDFs):

AL 1971
IHP Fact Sheet
PA Fact Sheet

The University of Alabama School of Law will be providing free legal services to victims of the tornado beginning early next week.  Services will include help filling out FEMA paperwork as well as answering legal questions.